tattoos

Monday, December 14, 2009

Knitting

Over the summer I thought it would be a fabulous idea to take up knitting. Since I knew about 5 people that were going to pop out kids in 2010, what better gift could be given than a handmade blanket? Nothing!

The first blanket I started on I ended up not finishing because I moved in the middle of making it and the ladies at the yarn store in Colorado never called me back so that I could get more yarn. :( I used size nine needles and very fine yarn that was super soft. The only problem was that it took FOREVER to make the blanket. In the time it took me to make 1/3 of the first blanket I could finish a baby blanket with bigger needles and bigger yarn. Which I found out when I came up with the great question of - "Hey, maybe if I use bigger knitting needles and chunkier yarn maybe making the blanket will go faster!!!!" And I was right. I went to the knitting store and asked that very question and they said ... YES! Haha!

The second blanket went so so so so so much faster than the first AND they gave me a free blanket pattern. Which was super cute. Except the only problem was I ran out of yarn when I was about 6 rows away from finishing the blanket. Apparently my tension (pulling the yarn tight after each stitch) was so loose that I needed more yarn. So I had to buy another ball of yarn for six rows. LAME.





As you can see the blanket is totally lopsided and just a mess. But it was my first one and I am very proud that I did it. I had freaked out when I first started making it because I wasn't sure how to read the patter and I called two knitting stores, but the old ladies were jerks and so I ended up having to go down to the knitting store to have them look at the pattern and tell me how to do it. :( It was pretty easy question, they just made it harder because they wouldn't listen to me!

So I have made 1 other blanket and am now working on my 3rd. I used the same patter for the 2nd blanket. So for the 3rd blanket I decided to make it kind of simple by just doing a stockinette stitch. Purl on one side and knit on the other. Easy peasy! 




Juno likes to help me knit. And by help I mean bite and claw the yarn and knitting needles. The jerk. 

So last night I picked up some needles and some yarn to mess around with to try out some new stitches -



Even though I am just messing around - it is really frustrating! I do the stitch wrong and I have to pull it apart as well as the fact that I have to do a few rows to even see how the stitch is coming out! fml! 

Oh well - it gives me something to do and hopefully in a few months I will be that much better and will be able to knit everyone I know a blanket. LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger