tattoos

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My first DIY

So I am watching Sarah's house on HGTV


She is a designer who buys a house each season of her show guts it and completely redesigns it. It is AWESOME! This show is my new current obsession by the way. Love it love it love it.

So the episode I am watching is the remodel of the office and nursery. And one of the ideas is they get a pin board - cover it in a really pretty wall paper and then frame it with this antique picture frame.


Isn't that just adorable?!?! And it both beauty and function!! 

And a lot better looking than just a regular old pin board. 

 I just had to have it in my own office!! 

So I went shopping for all the ingredients needed for this project:

  1. Pin board - found a used one at a thrift store measuring 4 ft x 3 ft for $10!! a 3 ft x 2 ft at staples is like $40. So awesome deal. (On the show they are always looking for deals too! I felt so designery!! LOLZ)
  2. Antique looking frame - found one at the thrift store measuring about 3ft x 2ft for $18. A frame that size is around $100 new. So it was a good deal. ^_^ Would have liked to find one around the same size as the board but didn't find anything. Also if we were to have the board framed it would have been $400. 
  3. Fabric for the pin board. I don't really like the fabric we picked out for it, but we can always change that. 
  4. Staple gun
  5. Spray paint and primer
  6. Plastic drop cloth
  7. Brackets to hold the pin board to the frame

IMAG0717

IMAG0720

IMAG0719

Pumpkin is our model for this photo shoot!

So first we spray painted the frame:

IMAG0725

IMAG0728

IMAG0742

2 coats of Primer and 2 coats of white Spray Paint in a Satin so it has a bit of a gloss to it.

Then we went about pulling apart the pin board and cutting it down to size:

IMAG0743

Using a steak knife:

IMAG0745

Boy was that a pain in the ass. We are not good at measuring so we can to cut and re cut and then trim it up about 6 times. A saw or utility knife and knowing how to measure would have saved us some time. 

The Mess:

IMAG0744


Stapling the fabric onto the board. That was pretty easy and the stapler we got rocked!

IMAG0748

Adding the brackets:

IMAG0749

And all done!!

IMAG0751

IMAG0750

I am not to thrilled with the fabric - I think I might change it out. And we forgot to pick up hardware to hang the board up on the wall. But overall I am pretty impressed with how it looks. One of my better ideas that actually didn't end up looking like CRAP! 

^_^ 







No comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates | Blogger